Friday 7 November 2014

Phase 1 - Complete!

Apologies for the long gap in updating you all!
But that's my first phase of university done. The last two weeks have been a little mad. 
We had our presentation and exam to do, then found out in our tutorial we had to prepare another presentation. Just to keep us on our toes! 
So yesterday I had a presentation, an assessment and then an exam. It has been rather manic these last two weeks getting together with my group and then revising and preparing things as well as sorting out an order I had done for everyone. So it's been a busy couple weeks. But I've thoroughly enjoyed it! 
I hae been in touch with my placement and I have organised my hours with them and if I need to wear uniform or not. I have collected that last week and I have collected my name badge. I have my fob watch and I have a little notebook to put in my tunic pocket as well. So I'm all organised. I'm just going shopping on the weekend to get some food in for lunches while I'm on placement. 
It's has gone so quick it's unbelievable. I have learnt so much already and there's a lot more to come!
It has seemed so stressful but so worth it. I'm still awaiting my score on our presentation but for my exam i got a first so im happy as whoever Larry may be with that!
It has gone so quick and it is worth noting, revise as you go. It soon sneaks up on you all those deadlines that you have and what you need to do to keep organised.  University has had such an impact on a lot of people and it is sad when we see people having to leave to return next year due to unforeseen circumstances.  However, as it has gone so quick you do need to take everything on board and a little more. 
Make the most of it as I am sure before I know it, I will have finished first year! (Thinking positive) 
I start placement on Monday so I am sure that will be eye-opening.  I cannot wait.  A few people are a little nervous and dont know what to expect. This in itself is to be expected, especially if you have not had any sort of care experience before. It can seem a little daunting.  But you do have staff on placement to help you as well as the university staff.  So if you do struggle with anything, all I can say is make the most of the help available to you.  That's the good thing about doing a nursing course. The staff and others know that you're human. You can only do so much and you can only cope with so much. To have that support there is fantastic.  
So here I am, looking forward to another 6 weeks of work on placement, completing my portfolio and making sure I can get my skills and competencies ticked off. I have been told to read up on anything I am interested in and asking if i can observe and assist in procedures if I feel I am confident enough to do so. So there is my homework for placement! 
I am going to be trying to do as much as I can when i can and make the most of the 6 weeks. As if the last 6 weeks (7 if you include induction week) are anything to go by, I expect it to fly in. 
Good luck to everyone submitting applications, it is stressful and even more stressful waiting and not knowing.  But that in itself is a learning curve for you and how you cope under pressure and waiting for such a long time.  So make the most of the free time you do have. It is a luxury when you get any at university! 

No comments:

Post a Comment