Friday 14 November 2014

And so placement begins...

So I have completed my first week of placement and it has gone so quick!

I had a mad dash into town to go and buy some shoes and I've been wearing them in around the house. I did want some trainers as they're usually a lot more comfortable but needles can easily go through them.
And it is in our portfolios to wear black sensible smart shoes for placement. 
Ironic thing is a lot of learning disability is in the community so I don't even know if I will be wearing them much! 
I rang up my placement again on the Friday before hand just to ensure I had everything right in my mind about how to get there, where to park, if they charge for parking and if I'm needed to wear uniform. 
I have to wear mine so at least I'm getting my money's worth! We had to pay £160 for our uniform so it's always good when you can wear it. 
For our off duty the staff have been really flexible and so helpful as they know students can live anywhere and may not be in close proximity to the hospital. They have asked us what we prefer to work and if we want to do nights etc.  It does state that by NMC guidelines we have to do so many nights each year of the course.  In first year we have to do at least 3. So I am aiming to do that this placement.  That way I can see what happens at night and enable me to hopefully get some work done!  It also means that if I don't get chance to next placement or the one after, that I am covered! 
In my placement I am actually in a hospital so I am really enjoying that. Of all the years I've worked with learning disabilities I have never yet worked in a hospital. It has always been in the community which is what I love to do. But this placement has certainly opened my eyes.
My very first day we had an emergency situation so that was certainly interesting. I have dealt with challenging behaviour, done my first set of observations independently and unobserved. I then recorded this using a NEWS chart. I have done my first bm (blood sugar test) and given my first few insulin injections. I have also been to the dentist this week with a patient and I have had the chance to speak to many nurses who are more than happy to help.  Ive also done my first set of administering drugs under observation and I have learnt a lot! 
It has been exciting and exhilarating having done so much in one week.
My task for the weekend is to learn about the drugs we administer in this ward and how each one works etc. 
I am also aiming to learn about a few others things as we have new patients coming in all the time.  
It has been a whirlwind of a week and my mentor has been really helpful. I have managed to observe an ECG (electrocardiogram) being done, I have been able to get to know the patients and to understand how a learning disability hospital setting operates. It is definitely the most rewarding aspect of nursing, being able to converse with your patients and respond.  Especially if their communication skills are limited. This is where it counts in getting to know your patients.

My advice for the week? 
Be enthusiastic and get involved wherever you can. Most places you will go on placement will have had students before. And if the patients don't mind, observe every chance you get. Everything on placement will help you learn, no matter how small you think it may be.  And all that will help throughout university and into your future career. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm hoping to start learning disability nursing next September and I've loved reading your blog, it's really helpful.
    Good luck with the rest of your placement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi!
    Best of luck with your application! :)
    I am loving Learning Disability Nursing, it has by far been so eye opening commencing placement.
    I have been lucky enough to be placed on a ward ( i think this is due to my prior experience) and i know i could definitely not imagine doing anything else now.
    It is amazing.
    Hope you keep reading and dont hesitate to contact me if you want to ask anything!

    ReplyDelete