Friday 26 June 2015

Midway through Placement

I have now finished my third week of placement and it has been great. 
In the day centre they had a summer fete for all the students where their carers and family can come in to meet everyone. Despite the weather looking a bit iffy (rain, wind and sunshine) it ended up a really nice day.
The summer fete was a little fete that the day centre holds every year. There are many stalls that the students have crafted things for to sell and the staff have assisted with. Their families and friends donate things that can be sold and the students help man the stalls if they so wish or can just go around looking and buying and taking part in the activities. 
We had a tombola, hoopla, arts and crafts stall, sweet stall, badge making, flowers and even an opportunity to throw wet sponges at staff standing behind a frozen board (or just take a photo!)
This was made by staff, it looked amazing.
Here is me and an adult nursing student from another university modelling the board!


It was a lovely day where we had a band in playing music, a barbecue and plenty of snacks.  It is a day the students really enjoy and can look forward to. It marks the end of their classes in the day centre before the summer scheme begins. 
Half way through our placement we have a midway review so we can discuss with our mentor what we would like to achieve before we finish and how we have found placement so far. I have focused on communication and improving my Makaton skills in this placement as our students range from profound and multiple disabilities (PMLD) to more higher functioning and independent students. I have been able to make myself a folder containing lots of Makaton information that I have able to do from resources provided by the centre then from the Makaton website.

Here is a sample of the Makaton information I have that may come in useful as a nurse!




Summer scheme starts next week and I am really looking forward to that. All of us nursing students will have the opportunity to accompany the staff and students on outings around the local city and just beyond.  I've been told the activities include a city tour, a trip to the local cat and donkey sanctuaries, a trip on a boat, bowling, cinemas and many more. 
So I am looking forward to that! 

Of course I won't be able to upload any pictures of the students but I shall try and take photographs of the activities.
So far it had been such an amazing learning experience and I have been able to meet adult nursing students that have been very active in learning about learning disabilities and the various conditions and syndromes that can present in people with learning disabilities. 
Active learning is the best kind of learning! 

2 comments:

  1. Claire Pemberton30 June, 2015 17:27

    Hiya,

    Thank you for another insightful post!

    Just wondered, are you learning Makaton as part of your course or self teaching?

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!

    It may go a bit quiet over the summer as i have such a long time off, but come September there will be many more to come!
    I'm glad its useful, so good to have positive comments thank you!

    And I have done it as part of self teaching from the students (service users) on placement.
    My mentor has a lot of resources that are really good and then the Makaton website.
    The students are also great at teaching people that want to learn, the centre has a 'sign of the week' that is part of promoting Makaton use within the facilities.
    I am aiming to get the lecturers to teach this at university, so that is something that is being discussed currently.

    Keep returning to the Makaton website as they change the free resources on there quite regularly to use!

    ReplyDelete