Sunday 30 November 2014

Essay Writing

So I finally got down to beginning my first academic essay of my nursing career. 
It has to be in in February so yes, I have started it!

It is a reflective piece of writing on my time in placement so I have begun to formulate ideas and put them down on paper. From experience, I know many people would think my word limit (1500 words) is not a great deal and the essay should not take long to do. It shouldn't, if I didn't have to reference everything and research how my university and the School of Nursing like to have things written, as well as wanting to get a good mark. Any one can write 1500 words, but it's including what the markers want to see. 
This includes the size of the font, what type of font, the spacing (usually double), the margin size, if page numbers are needed, is my student number needed, it goes on! 

So that took up a good two hours of my time trawling through university web pages and my module handbooks to find out how things are to be done.  Of course I will also be asking those in the years above how things are to be done as well! 
So yes, essay has begun.  This is because as well as this, I have an exam in February.  I hand my portfolio in as soon as we are due back in January and then I have a lot of assignments and exams all in May. So it will be non-stop over the next few weeks. I am wanting to get as much as possible done however, just so I can have somewhat of a break over the Christmas period.  I definitely do not want to be worrying about getting my work done over Christmas instead of worrying about what to wear and who to get what! 

As this piece is reflective, I am going to use Gibbs Model of Reflection.  

(Image from Google images)

Gibbs model allows me to look at my time on placement and formulate and structure my essay.  I have a 1500 word limit so I have begun by doing my introduction then going into further detail.  I have found it best to start while I am in placement as I can then get the information I may need.  With it being reflective I am talking about what has happened while on placement, so I have needed to omit patient details and placement area details, just as I do on here.  I have replaced the patient's name with a pseudonym and I have followed NMC protocol.  I have found it very useful beginning while on placement as the nurses have been a great help.  They have also been able to help me regarding the patient.  As the patient has learning disabilities, I have had to talk to their named nurse and gain consent for me to refer to them in my essay.  This is due to the patient's lack of capacity in the ability to fully consent.  I could ask the patient, but due to lack of capacity, they would not fully understand the extent in to which I am asking.  
I have found essay writing a lot easier if I plan this first and write down key words of what I want to write about. I have then researched my topic and spent a lot of time in the library going through books, journals and articles.  I have then also spent time on placement reading patient care plans before I have chosen which individual patient I am going to refer to.  I have then also spoke to the other student I am on placement with to ensure I have referenced correctly in regards to the patient care plans etc.  I have also looked at local trust policies and guidelines in relation to the patient and their care.  
For a small essay a lot of work goes into it to ensure that you gain the mark you want to. Leaving it late, you quickly realise that the time goes quickly and you will run out of time to get your ideas down how you want them to. 
More often than not its the references that take time and a fair amount of your word count! So try to do them as you go along and it will make life so much easier. It's important to remember that you cannot do draft after draft asking your tutors to look over it and mark and re-mark it. This is university and it requires a lot of self discipline and your own work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment