Tuesday 17 February 2015

Phase 2 - Complete!

Hi All! 

It has been another 6 weeks of class come and go! Dont know where its going! 
I have enjoyed it immensely. I have had an exam to do and an assignment due in. I have also had my portfolio back and received feedback from that. 
It has been an eventful and eye opening few weeks to say the least. Everyone is finding their feet and you can see friendship groups being formed.  It has also been a good way to get our questions answered and finding out how we are getting on at university.  For some people, it has been a way of finding out if they're enjoying the course and how they are finding it.  As you know, there will be people that drop out and there will be people that want to change course. 
So as you progress, the workload changes and gets more immense and you find you will feel different stresses compared to others. 
Each person has their own circumstances and their own ways of dealing with stress. It is important to remember that you need to avail of your personal tutor and any other university help. 
In our practical classes we have been covering the likes of the aseptic technique and eye care and oral care. These classes are a good way of gaining confidence in your clinical skills and a good time to ask your tutor anything you feel need help on or want to gain more advice on. See this website for ANTT.and the Great Ormond Street Hospital website is good too. As I knew my placement in advance, i have been revising children's procedures and their usual vital signs and typical values. This has been particularly helpful as I know more adults than i do children.  It is important you self reflect and look at your strengths and what you may need to improve on. Nursing is a career where you are continually learning and finding out new things.  So never be afraid to ask questions or to go and find information on your own.  Initiative is a good quality to have and if you ask questions, there will always be someone along to help you and give you advice. 

I have just completed my first day of my second placement and it has been so good to learn new skills and to be able to put them to use.  I have enjoyed my first day and have found it is something I am beginning to enjoy.  My passion first and foremost will always be learning disability though! I will always be one to have my say if I believe people are being disrespectful.  More often that not though, it is the unknown field for a lot of people. And all you can do is educate them and give them information. It is these people that will perhaps go on to tell others. This is how we can raise awareness and get that information out there that learning disability nurses are needed wherever there may be contact with a person with learning disabilities. 

I am attending 2 conferences next month so I am really looking forward to that. I cant wait to meet others that are learning disability nurses and to learn more in other fields too. I am hoping I can post some details on here afterwards. I have asked my tutor and the hours attending the conferences count towards my clinical hours as well so I don't have to worry about making any placement hours up as well as attending them.  The conferences are a good way of meeting people and you can find out about ones in your local area from the following websites:


It is always worth attending conferences. They will enhance your knowledge greatly, you will meet some wonderful people and you are able to ask questions and learn a lot more about all things nursing.  
I will be updating you all at the weekend after my first week on placement! So far it's going great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment