Saturday 20 September 2014

Occupational Health

Last week I had my occupational health appointment at the university.
Luckily I started my hepatitis b course back in March as I knew I'd need it. I got this free through work, but if you go to your doctor sometimes they make you pay for each injection. But the hep b course is 3 injections. You have your first one, then another a month later, then another one five or so months later. You can have the accelerated course which takes place over 3/4 months.
I was due my last injection this week so it's has fallen quite good! So I had my injection, then the nurse then checked over my hands, arms and elbows to look for any skin conditions that could be irritated by frequent hand washing. I was asked a few questions to ensure what I had put on my form hadn't changed. Then i was done! Now i have an appointment in a few weeks to have a blood test to see if the Hep B course has worked.  This will test my immunity and see if i may need a booster.
So now it's just waiting until we start.
I had my last day at work on Friday which was a little sad but also a very good day knowing I'm moving onto something I've wanted to do for years now. Work were lovely and so supportive of my leaving to do nursing.  It's nice to have that support around you. I think it makes such a difference.  I was given flowers, a gift card, a bottle of wine and a card. I got many hugs from the students (service users of the facility) and many requests to come back and visit! So im hoping i can pop back in and keep them up to date with how things are going.
It's exciting knowing I'm about to embark on a new chapter in life that is the beginning of my career. The anticipation is amazing. But I'm sure In a few months after I'm so tired from working and revising my mood may be a little different! But I have this blog to look back on and to remind myself of just why im doing this and how hard it's been to get here.
Reflection is something you have to learn to do, and do well, for your course. So a blog is ideal. Of course I didn't start this blog primarily for that, but for the gap I've noticed in the wealth of information that is out there.
Despite trawling books, blogs, journals, Internet site after site and asking many people, there isn't a great deal of information relating to learning disability nursing. I can only hope that this blog is informative and can help others in deciding what branch they want to go and study and practice in. People do change their minds and life paths change, sometimes due to reasons beyond our control. However, after being in this field for the past 4 years I can say it's something I love doing and enjoy going to work. Not waking up with that dreaded 'Mo
nday feeling' is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment