Sunday 21 September 2014

1 more sleep..

So I have one more sleep until university begins. 
Funny isn't it from how when we are children we count down in sleeps and this continues on into adulthood!
But i have had some panicky moments over the weekend thinking "What am I doing?!" and "Will it all be okay?" "Will I cope financially?" "Will i get on okay with everyone?" "Will I pass?" 
All common questions that I believe probably go through everyone's mind when they start university, never mind nursing  After leaving work after having been in a full time role for 5 years it is going to be a little shock to the system I think, even if I have been to university before!
It is somewhat surreal knowing that tomorrow I begin university and I learn to become a nurse. After all the waiting, the applying, more waiting, the preparation, it's finally here.  I am so glad we have social media as well as i have managed to find classmates and meet up with a few people to attend occupational health and enrolment with. I think this has helped settled people a little and realise that everyone will be feeling exactly the same at some point or another.  The girls i have met have been lovely and the age range is varied.  The youngest is 18 and I think the oldest so far is in her forties!  So proof that no matter your age or experience you can succeed in getting into university if you apply yourself right.  

So in preparing for tomorrow I have been out this week and bought a new school bag 


Nothing too exciting, but I went for practical! I wanted a bag I know I can carry my books, my notes, lunch, water bottle and anything else in there. So its a 35L bag, so I am hoping that is plenty of room.  I didn't want a shoulder bag as I will be walking to university and I know in the long run I need to look after my back, especially in this line of work.  

I have also been messaging family and friends for any tips and any help they want to throw my way! So luckily I have an amazing family who are buying me some books so I have them to hand.  I have only asked for three which are fundamental for the three years of the course.  (I have found this out from asking others on social media from the same university I am attending) I have also bought some new highlighters, note pads, lever arch files and various other bits and bobs.  Hopefully this week I'll find out what else may be needed. But i'm sure another post on my organisation will follow.  
My partner is currently building us a desk and shelves in the study. So hopefully I can get some photographs up of that when it is complete.  He didn't want to buy a desk, they weren't big enough or wide enough or sturdy enough.  This is what happens when you live with someone who is a mechanical engineer apparently! At least he is practical!
As well as the desk building and bag buying, I have also printed off my timetable that is available on our student portal.  I have been reading through past exam papers that I have found and I have looked at what books I need from the library.  This last one is well worth doing if you can.  I have found one book which I need and all 10 copies are on loan.  So it is obviously a popular book! I have reserved this so hopefully I can have this soon. Mainly because we have an exam on our timetable already and I want to be prepared.  
So instead of counting down the days, it has now come to that point where we have gotten into hours.  When I was posting in May it felt so far away and that it would never come round.  But sure enough here it is and it feels like this summer has flown by.  
This time in three years i'll be waiting on my NMC registration and my PIN coming through. But first, a lot of hard work and dedication ensues! 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I hope you have a fantastic time at university, and you enjoy your training :)

    Lauren
    http://www.totally-typically.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Freshers is now more or less over, i've got my first lot of work to do and have my placement.
      So it is going well!

      Delete